Back From Hiatus: A Dear Diary Kind of Post

I have been MIA from my blog for a couple weeks, due to the hectic and beautiful thing I call my life. A lot has been happening in my world in the last little bit that has kept me preoccupied, both literally and mentally/emotionally. I had an interview for a really great publishing job in Toronto, finished up my internship at First Book Canada (no more long commuting!) and upon hearing not a peep about the job I was waiting on, decided I wanted to put my energy into another option I'd been toying with for some time: moving to the wonderful city of Kingston, ON.

My boyfriend Jess got a really great job in Kingston back in January. We both finished school around the same time so we were in the same boat when it came to looking for work, and I am so proud of him for finding a job in his field. Of course, I was living in Guelph and commuting to my internship in Mississauga everyday, so this meant a lot of time apart. We've been in a long distance relationship for about a year and we are both ready for that to come to an end. So, when it seemed I hadn't gotten the job and my internship was finishing up, I decided to move to Kingston so I could be with the love of my life. 

It was a hard decision because 95% of publishing jobs are in Toronto so for me, a move to Kingston means that for the next little while, I likely won't be working in publishing. That isn't to say that Kingston doesn't have a vibrant literary scene; there are two wonderful independent bookstores (one new and one used), the Kingston Writers Festival, a lot of writers who call Kingston home, an awesome Bookmark featuring the Bronwen Wallace poem "Mexican Sunsets" and from what I can tell, a wonderful community of avid readers. So, being the glass half-full kinda gal that I am, I look forward to all the exciting things waiting for me in Kingston; be they literary or otherwise.

So, that is what has been occupying my time. I am in Kingston now, looking for work, trying to find an apartment and just strolling around the city I'll hopefully be calling home. As for this blog, I've got a review coming up soon, an exciting (well, I think it is exciting) addition to my booklists and other bloggish-type fun. 


Thanks for reading!

1 comments:

  • Ikhlas | 12 April 2012 at 08:42

    Oh wow, that's so exciting Kate! I'm sure it was a big decision to make, but I'm so happy for you! :)

    Looking forward to hearing about all your adventures in Kingston :)
    xx

Post a Comment